You’re not alone. Many of us find that living in London makes finding time for meditation almost impossible. The city is constantly buzzing. Whilst this is what makes London attractive to us, it is also the reason most of us struggle to relax. Introducing meditation into your daily routine, even for five minutes, can make a world of difference.
What is meditation?
Meditation is the art of quieting one’s mind and discovering one’s self. It is the art of concentrating on one thing at a time. Its origins have been traced to Hinduism, Buddism and Taoist China, from as early as 1500 BCE. Meditation is considered to be the source of the Chinese concept of Zen.
What are the benefits of meditation?
Meditation can positively affect both mind and body. Regular meditation reduces stress. Lower stress levels will in turn lower your blood pressure, reducing risk of cardiovascular ailments. There is scientific evidence to show regular meditation increases the brain activity related to areas controlling metabolism. Long term positive effects also include increased focus and memory.
Tips for meditation
- Find a comfortable position. Even five minutes can feel like an eternity when you are uncomfortable. Make sure you have good posture and are well-balanced. If your body has balance, your mind will follow.
- It’s tempting to close your eyes, but that will encourage your mind to drift. Keep your eyes open, but soft. Some people choose to focus their gaze on a certain point, or to visualise a bright light entering their bodies.
- Pay your attention to your breath. You can use the sound as a guide to focus on.
- Don’t worry about thoughts. When you notice them, acknowledge them and move on. Trying to not think is very difficult and often leads to frustration.
- There are plenty of smartphone applications that offer guided meditation and meditation music. These can be helpful at the beginning of your journey. As you become more experienced, try and phase these out. Your goal should be silence.*
i recharge me is one of the programmes that uses meditation to help you focus and reach your goals. Silence the hustle and bustle of the city by making “meditation london peace” your mantra.
*For more information on meditation, as well as techniques and exercises, visit Meditation Workshop